Ignition timing 2.0l Transporter

Hi Everyone I have a 1982 camper based on a 2l Transporter with electronic ignition. Haynes manual and another source states ignition timing to be 4 - 6 degrees ATDC with the two plugs from the idle stabilisation unit joined together and vacuum pipe connected. When I set the timing to this spec using a strobe light it is quite obvious that the ignition is retarded to the extent of backfiring. Anyone have any ideas - is this the right spec? Also if i advance the ignition until the vehicle appears to be running properly idle speed is too high even after adjustment at carburettor. (I started fiddling in the first place because of bad hesitation under pressure - could this all be connected?) Any suggestions very welcome please. TIA Brian

Reply to
mistyb
4 - 6 degrees ATDC with the two plugs from the idle stabilisation unit joined together and vacuum pipe connected. When I set the timing to this spec using a strobe light it is quite obvious that the ignition is retarded to the extent of backfiring. Anyone have any ideas - is this the right spec? Also if i advance the ignition until the vehicle appears to be running properly idle speed is too high even after adjustment at carburettor. (I started fiddling in the first place because of bad hesitation under pressure - could this all be connected?) > Any suggestions very welcome please. > TIA > Brian >

Is this a UK transporter? I ask because there is a UK ng: uk.rec.cars.vw.aircooled (UK)

5 deg AFTER TDC was only used with distribs having 2 vacuum hoses (Advance/Retard diaphragms). Is that what you have?

If you *do* have 2-hose Advance/Retard, check that the diaphragms are working. With the distrib cap off, suck on each hose and watch the advance plate. It should move to the stop and stay there/. If it does not, there is a vacuum leak in the diaphragm or the hose.

HTH

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

......................The 80's model transporters that I've seen all had fuel injection. If yours is carbureted, it would be nice to know whether the the vacuum can on the distributor has a single vacuum hose connection or two. Is this engine configured as original or has been converted to carburetion?

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"mistyb" wrote: > Hi Everyone > I have a 1982 camper based on a 2l Transporter with electronic > ignition. > Haynes manual and another source states ignition timing to be > 4 - 6 degrees > ATDC with the two plugs from the idle stabilisation unit > joined together and > vacuum pipe connected. When I set the timing to this spec > using a strobe > light it is quite obvious that the ignition is retarded to the > extent of > backfiring. Anyone have any ideas - is this the right spec? > Also if i > advance the ignition until the vehicle appears to be running > properly idle > speed is too high even after adjustment at carburettor. (I > started fiddling > in the first place because of bad hesitation under pressure - > could this all > be connected?) > Any suggestions very welcome please. > TIA > Brian

5 deg AFTER TDC was only used with distribs having 2 vacuum hoses (Advance/Retard diaphragms). Is that what you have?

If you *do* have 2-hose Advance/Retard, check that the diaphragms are working. With the distrib cap off, suck on each hose and watch the advance plate. It should move to the stop and stay there/. If it does not, there is a vacuum leak in the diaphragm or the hose.

HTH

Speedy Jim

SpeedyJim

......which is very under used . Would highly recommend

or
forums

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Nice forum! James2 thanks you for the link,

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

ha ha. We're not worthy. We're not worthy........ James 2a

Reply to
Juper Wort

Actually, I browsed the UK forum and was quite impressed. We (US) tend to think that all VW activity of any note takes place on this side of the pond. Not so; some very knowledgable and innovative guys on there.

James2

Reply to
Speedy Jim