Re: car won't run

> 70 beetle starts fine, idles fine, accelerates fine & runs fine for > about 10 minutes (enough to get around the block) and to get through > at least the first 3 gears. First thoughts are some sort of > carbueration problem, anything else I should look for? Any specifics > on possible carb issues? Engine is a stock 1600 DP with single carb > setup. I really can't think of anything beyond general carb issues > and the filter. - DB

Check that the choke is working correctly. There should be a wire connected to the choke assebly from the coil plus side. After

10 minutes of drive the choke flap should be fully open if it is working properly.
Reply to
Olli Lammi

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:26:00 -0100, "DB" left Mt Vesuvius in a state of jealous awe as he began spewing from the mouth thusly:

After it cuts out one you can you just let it sit a few minutes and then it runs ok again for a few minutes? If so then maybe you're building up a vacuum in your gas tank and it's starving the fuel pump. Try running with the cap on loosely or right after it cuts out run up front and open the cap and listen to hear if you can hear a rush of air entering the tank. Or you might have some trash in the line like I did. Remove the fuel line from the inlet side of the fuel pump and drain your gas tank, then remove it and clean it out and blow some compressed air through the line while you're at it to clear it out.

Reply to
travis

Thanks everybody, looks like I have an good afternoon of dinking around, fortunately nothing too technically serious or financially serious. - DB

Reply to
DB

DB, In my experiences a choke will give you a problem within the first 5 minutes, usually in the first 2. It sounds to me like perhaps your coil is shot. A cold ignition coil will work fine but will short out when it warms up. After your car kills immediately get out and put your hand on the coil. If it's really hot, change it. Easy to check and cheap to change. Charles

Reply to
Ervin Charles