1990 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3.8 Won't run (2023 Update)

Ive replaced both the module and the coil, new spark plugs. Had my step dad come over and look at it , but he lives 2 hrs away so he can't pin point it down. The spark is great and so is the fuel, he hits the computer, key, and module. It starts and runs so good for about a month then stalls and won't start agai . I personally don't understand it he said I might need my computer reset.

Reply to
Mr Kasey

It sounds like there may be an issue with the engine control module (ECM) or possibly a problem with the fuel system. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and possibly fix the issue yourself:

  1. Check all the connections on the engine control module, the coil, and the spark plugs to make sure they are tight and not corroded.

  1. Check the fuel pressure, you can use a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure, it should be within the manufacturer's specified range.

  2. Inspect the vacuum lines and hoses, make sure they are not cracked, disconnected or leaking.

  1. Check the Throttle position sensor (TPS) and the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor, they might be faulty, they are responsible for sending the right amount of air to the engine.

  2. Check the engine compression, it could be low if the compression is low, it might indicate a problem with the engine's internal parts.

  1. Try resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then reconnecting it.

Tools you will need to complete these steps are:

  • A voltmeter or multimeter
  • A fuel pressure gauge
  • Vacuum gauge
  • A compression tester
  • A set of sockets and wrenches
  • A clean cloth or towel to protect the dashboard and surrounding areas while you are working on it.

Please note that these are general steps that can be applied to troubleshoot this issue, your vehicle might have specific issues that might require different troubleshooting methods, it is always recommended to consult your vehicle's owner manual for specific instructions or take it to a professional mechanic if you are unsure.

Reply to
Motors Advisor