Running on only 3 cylinders (2023 Update)

Hi All, Number 2 cylinder on my '73 beetle has no compression...remaining 3 have

100+. I really need to keep it running daily ( 20 miles each way ) for a while until I can afford both the time and cash to repair or (better) replace with bigger unit . I'm assuming the problem is valves as opposed to rings ( no compression rather than low compression). Can anything be done to continue using the engine without risking further damage? e.g remove pushrods and spark plug... .My daily run is fairly undemanding and seems to be able to cope with the reduced power. I have read of other beetles doing severaI thousand miles on only 3 cylinders and yet others which do loads of damage due to overheating and sticking valves. Is there any hope for my predicament or am I way off the mark with my thinking??

Thanks for any help John.

Reply to
John Birrell

I ran on three for about four weeks and ended up hammering a main bearing. After the needed topend rebuild, it couldn't maintain any oil pressure when warm and had a tendency to overheat on the highway because of the damage. I inferred that due to the mis-balance the case was damaged. That engine now resides in a junk heap (after the good stuff got stripped off).

IMO, park the car and either rent or take the bus.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I once ran on two cylinders (and bald tires) for a month. I just had a mile or two drive to school and back. I junked the car when the passenger seat fell through the pan so I never did find out how bad I wrecked the engine.

Rebecca

Reply to
Rebecca Beste

I wouldn't do it. Here's why.

The thermostat lives under that side. If #2 isn't working, then the thermostat won't get hot, meaning that the vanes will stay closed, so the left side will overheat.

If your thermostat has been removed, then you might get away with removing the pushrods temporarily.

I would start, however, by checking to make sure that there isn't something here that could be easily fixed. Check the valve adjustment. check the lower head studs for torque.

Consider getting a second opinion from someone with more experience.

-

Jim Adney

Many thanks Jim and David for your adevice. I have already checked the valve clearances and all seems fine ...however, I've decided to pass on my idea for continued use and follow your combined suggestions of alternative transport for me, and a second opinion for the beetle. Hoping for an 'affordable' outcome..

John

Reply to
John Birrell

Don't get a GEX engine.

This will cause the engine not to be balanced. Maybe if you disable another cyinder, I do not know which one, the engine would be balanced. I do not recommend this either. But it could go anytime. Can't you order another longblock from aircooled.net and put it on the credit card?

Reply to
Sleepy Joe

I have to second staying away from GEX.

Reply to
Not Me

I have been driving my Beetle on 3 cylinders just a mile and I am hoping I haven't done any damage,

Reply to
Gordon