Vent window latch replacement

I broke the vent window latch on my 66 Baja some time back and I'm just getting around to replacing it. I bought a latch but I don't know how to pop the window out to get to the broken latch. Any suggestions or tips for replacing the latch?

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Robert

I'll look at it again tomorrow but I didn't see anywhere on the vent window to cut the rubber that holds it in.

T> When I replaced my window, I cut the old rubber with a box cutter and

Reply to
Anthony W

Do you have the vent window and frame out of the door? It's pretty easy to replace the rubber if so. I found the biggest problem was redoing the rivet in the hinge at the top of the window.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

The frame is still in the door. I need to do some work on the window winder so taking it out isn't a big deal. The problem is the vent window is firmly in the frame. Would sliding a thin blade in along the edge of the glass release it?

I've considered using a heat gun to warm it up but I'm concerned that I might make things worse. It didn't wiggle loose on the 100 degree days were were having last month.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

If you pull the felt channel (partially) from the top of the door near the vent, you should expose the screw holding the top of the vent window assembly in place. I think there is just another bolt holding the bottom part in place down near the crank handle. It IS a pain to take the window glass out and then the winding mechanism and the vent window assembly, but when you're done replacing the rubber the correct way, it is SO much nicer.

I really don't see how you could replace the rubber otherwise. It is kind of a pain to get the new rubber back into the vent window, but take your time, use lots of soapy water and it will get back in there eventually.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Thanks for the info. I got to much heat today while working on rewiring the tail lights in out in the hot sun so it'll have to wait for another day before I try it.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W