Vent window rivets?

I see I can get some rivets from CIP1 for when I redo my vent windows, but I'm not sure how they would be formed into place. Is there some kind of hand setting rivet tool? Or do you think something like some large pliers or vice-grips could do the job?

Reply to
Michael Cecil

I'll give you the answers and more.. but first.. please tell me how you "Note: The author of this message requested that it not be archived. This message will be removed from Groups in 6 days (Oct 18, 7:43 pm). "

I must know.. please..

Michael Cecil wrote:

Reply to
payments338

I own Google, if you *must* know.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Actually, I use a header which specifies that. If you use a proper newsreader client, you could specify it as well.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

The original rivets are next to impossible to match up correctly. I have used the appropriate sized pop rivet from the hardware store as well. The thing for me that works the best, is to get a stainless steel screw and nylock nut for the other end. Take your wing to the hardware store and get the right thickness of screw and appropriate length. Then get a rubber washer at the same time to put between the two metal peices and you are done. Tighten it up to a comfortable level.

Another advantage to this screw method is that after a while when your vent windows start getting loose and not staying open at highway speeds, you do not have to pop out your door panel to tighten that 10mm bolt on the bottom of the pivot....you can tighten the screw, and all is good again!

Reply to
vgonman

These aren't pop rivets.

That's what I did on my passenger door when I refurbished it, but since they have the correct type of rivets and the fiber washers at CIP1, I thought I'd use those.

Never had that problem.

Reply to
Michael Cecil

Reply to
anton

Check hardware store, I've seen nut and bolt combo which is totaly sleek. Both have button profile, nut has a threaded tube and bolt skews into that tube which would serve as shaft for the plates. Post ID on the plates or OD of the rivet, and I will try to find one in local hw store.

Reply to
anton

NO kidding! But, you tell me if you got the tool laying around to install that hard rivet in your window. The factory probably slipped it in to the hole hot had a tool made right for the job to mash it so it would stay in.

I have had these OE style rivets in my hand before, and they are really hard. Pliers, etc will not mushroom out the end after it is in the hole.............

Somethings are worth being OE on..cooling tin, flappers, heat, etc. Some things are not. This rivet comes to mind. No one will ever notice or care if it is not like off the factory line. And you will forget shortly after it is installed as well.

Reply to
vgonman

vgonman kirjoitti:

They make stainless steel pop rivets too...

Jan

Reply to
Jan