1999 S80 2.9 Two Repairs I need to think about

  1. Anybody ever pull the drivers side door panel and replace the power door lock actuator? Mine tends to get "lazy" and sometime will not lock/unlock the driver door through the remote or central locking system. I would hate to spend all day doing it, and if necessary can live with just double checking that the car is locked when I walk away.

  1. Any advise on replacing the timing belt yourself on the 2.9 motor? Dealer seems to think it will cost them around 0 or so. I don't really trust other shops to even touch this car. Are there other parts besides the belt that should be changed as well?

  2. This will sound a little basic, but how difficult is the oil/filer change on this engine. Any special tools for this simple procedure I need to know about?

Sweeeeet,

Deeky

Reply to
Deacon Eisenhart

It's about like any other modern door panel. Master the art of push (in) and pull (out) at the same time to remove a few items to reveal hidden screws. A caveat with not repairing rhe power latch release: the mechanism can fail in such a way as to cause the locks to repeatedly lock and unlock during actuation, can get out of sync with the other doors, and can burn up all the lock motors including the trunk.

If it's other than the first belt change; replace the tensoner, idler wheels and water pump.

You need a special oil filter wrench to remove the oil filter housing cover. It's plastic, it's tight and a standard strap-type wrench won't do.

Bob

Reply to
User