2.3i 740 fuel pump/rough starting revisit

I assume it's electric and it primes the fuel system when the ignition's switched on?

I've noticed that if I wait two or three seconds with the ignition lights on before starting the car there's no rough idling at all when it starts (my original post on 20th Sept. asked about this). Coincidence or a possible cure?

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

For generally those reasons, I turn the switch on and wait the one or two seconds for the fuel pump relay to click off (I can also hear the pump stop humming).

To make sure that you don't have a problem, turn on the switch and listen at the fuel filler neck (cap off). With the ignition left on wait a minute or two and listen to hear if the pump cycles on again. If it doesn't, then all is OK (turn off ignition and replae cap). If the pump does go on again it means that the fuel system is not holding pressure for some reason and should be checked out.

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 245 Estate - '93 965 Estate "Shelby" & "Kate"

Reply to
Randy G.

Quite possibly it's different from mine (1980 260) but my fuel pumps don't start until the starter is cranking, not just when ignition lights come on.

Reply to
jg