245 Air Mass Meter

I have a 91 245 with about 230,000 miles. The car smells a bit rich, but we don't have emissions testing here so I don't know for sure if it's a problem. The odometer hasn't worked in years, so I can't estimate mileage that way either. The oxygen sensor has been replaced recently with a genuine Bosh non-universal sensor, and the guts of the catalytic converter fell out a couple of years ago.

I have a set of (supposedly) good used injectors to go in, but I thought before I took the car down for work, I would see if there's a simple test to see if the Air Mass Meter is working properly. If I'm going to tear it all apart, I might as well replace what's needed...

TIA, Jeff

(reply to Usenet, please, this address doesn't exist)

Reply to
<fargo

Usually they either work or they don't. They tend to fail intermittently at first, then die completely and the car won't start until you unplug it, or starts and dies.

Reply to
James Sweet

A good place to start is the old-fashioned look at the spark plug insulators surrounding the center electrode. They should be a bone color or slightly tan. If the engine is usually running rich they will be darker, with medium grey to black being an indication that it's a problem.

It is rare for an AMM to drift out of adjustment; more common failures cause the engine to run badly, especially at idle.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I acquired an '85 245 which smoked dark smoke, most especially at idle; WAY too rich.

I replaced the AMM: problem solved.

Reply to
Mr. V

Hi Jeff,

If you suspect the AMM, pull the plug. Clean the pins and the sockets with Contact Cleaner, push the plug in and pull it out ten times and then coat both with Dielectric Grease. (Replace the plug...........................:-)

I can't help re *testing* the AMM, but the above procedure got me going when my '93 245 Classic wouldn't even start.

Good Luck. Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Typically, how much are air mass sensors new, and is it worth fitting a "low mileage" second hand item or do they deteriorate with time as well ?

Thanks

Nick

Reply to
Nick

$155 for a rebuild, $315 for new Bosch (through fcpgroton.com).

I pulled a couple good ones from a wrecking yard.

Tip: bring a VOM to test them before you pull them: look to the Bentley bible for specs.

Reply to
Mr. V

Hi, thanks for the tip, and prompt reply.

I guess a VOM is what we call a multimeter here in the UK ? Am I checking for certain resistance between certain points ?

Thanks, Nick

Reply to
Nick

Yeah, technically a VOM is an analog meter and multimeter refers to a digital one that measures more than volts and ohms. You can tell a few simple things with a meter but the only reliable way to test an AMM is in a car. Just buy from a wrecker that will accept returns of defective parts.

Reply to
James Sweet

You should purchase The Volvo 240 Service Manual, put out by Bentley Publishers, aka "The Bentley Bible."

IPD carries it.

It's all laid out there.

Reply to
Mr. V

OK thanks for the info - I am in the UK and I have not noticed "Bentleys" in the Shops - our mainstream book publisher is "Haines" and from the reputation they are not a patch on Bentleys.

Thanks again Nick

Reply to
Nick