740 - Mileage and more

Today's question: Mileage.

What kind of mileage should I expect from a tank of fuel in my '89 740 GLE

16V?

Thought so. I am not getting there. I am just about through the third tank since getting this car a few weeks ago, and I am getting something like maybe 350 KM for 50 litres. Not good enough, I should think.

What would be the likely culprits for poor mileage? The car drives very well otherwise. Nice and smooth, and somehow I am not tempted to drive like a speed demon in this car.

  • * * * *

On another note, replaced the radius arm and sway bar link bushings yesterday. The originals (I think they must have been originals) were SO done. It took quite a bit of effort to remove the old radius arm bushings.

14 years had turned them into something like carbon concrete. I took a dremel to the control arm afterward to get them cleaned up. I found it impossible to get the replacement urethane bushings seated and compressed well enough to get the original bolt back in place, so went out and got a couple more bolts a little longer so I could get the system back together. As I imagine the new bolts are not as hardened, I will put the originals back in a few days when the bushings are really seated.

Quite a wonderful difference in the car. Before, every expansion joint and crack was felt right up through the car, now the front end feels quite nice and tight, and a little forgiving on those cracks.

I had also bought the pivot-end bushings for the radius arms, but found that no amount of banging was going to get the old ones loose from their rusty home. They actually looked okay, and all the writing on the web suggests they would probably not need replacing, I just left them there.

Similarly, I also bought the bushing for the insde end of the control arm, but could not see how you could get the end of the control arm free, because the steering rack is in the way of removing the large bolt. Anyone have some advice for that one, other than leave things be?

Now there is only a little of the 14 year old looseness to the front end. I think in the spring I may do some front struts on the car, and will get at the strut mount bearing then.

I love this car.

Cheers

RF

Reply to
Ritchard Findlay

You should be getting a little better then that. We had an 89 16 Valver until 1993, my dad said the 960 we bought to replace it drank more gas in town, but the 16V engine was worse on the highway for gas then our 24V inline 6 (especially when towing).

350K per 50L is around 14L per 100kms, we get around 12L in town with our 960 wagon, 14-15 in the winter, and 7.8-8.5L per 100kms on the highway, 9.8L if you really pound the accelerator down the TransCanada (401) when no one is around at night tho....

Your 89' isn't a burgundy 740GLE wagon with a missing cover on the front air dam is it? :-). With a black leather interior, A/C, heated seats?....

Reply to
Rob Guenther

No Rob,

My '89 16V is a Black on Black sedan. I sure like it. Took it on the freeway today, first time since changing the bushings on Sat. What a HUGE difference in handling.

RF

Reply to
Ritchard Findlay

Reply to
Rob Guenther
30 litires generally gets me about 350-375KM. I seldom fill up to 50ltre, but when i have done so before, I got me well over 500KM. I do mostly city driving.

Reply to
fl