What kind of mileage from a k3500?

I recently bought a used 98 k3500 extended cab dually with a 350 vortec and the 4L80 transmission. I am getting about 11 miles to the gallon. It seems pretty consistent whether pulling, towing, or town driving. Is 11 miles to the gallon good or should it be a little better? After driving and exiting the vehicle I always smell gas fumes but have detected no leaks.

thank Danny

Reply to
nowonder

sounds about right to me. Whats yoru rear differential gear? Could be a little better with a tune up ( the works), I had a 89 3/4 4x4 ext. cab with a 350 and after a good tune up i went from 9-10 to 12.5 mpg regularly.

Reply to
mudmonkey

You're on the low end of OK, given it's a dually and probably has

4.10's.. We've got a '98 C6P C2500 at work w/ a 350, 4l80E and 3.73's and it gets 14-15 around town and 17 on the highway empty.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I have a 2000 GMC Sierra 3500 with the 350 vortec and 4L80E and getting 13 MPG around home and I am not happy with it either. Around home for me is a rural area and I think it should do better. Haven't had it on a road trip yet so don't know what to expect there.

Reply to
charles bridges