740 turbo performance upgrade

I bought my 1990 740 turbo 4 years ago and have been continuously upgrading it (euphymism for replacing worn parts) bit by bit. By now I have new struts/shocks around and took advantage to have installed an ipd antisway bar which I really like and gives me a firmer more european ride.

All this got me dreaming about a performance upgrade (turbo will have to be replaced sooner or later) I have also read about ECU upgrades (I have a Bosch 0280 000563; says Jetronic) Any ideas/experience about a reasonably priced upgrade (I know this is relative), would however like to keep similar mileage (24-25mpg) when not using the extra power.

Philip

Reply to
Philip Leduc

philip, the best firm for Volvo tuning is in Goteborg

Like BMW-Alpina, Mercedus-AMG, Volvo-SAM

"Philip Leduc" schreef in bericht news:IrqdnSKJvMQ7vHrZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
volvo480-V70

I haven't tweaked my wife's 740 NA (she loves it stock), but have modded my 244 Turbo.

Things I've done that I'd suggest:

Front and rear IPD swaybars.

Lower with IPD springs.

Shock / strut upgrade.

Support / stiffening rods, as available.

Turbo upgrade: I got one from an aftermarket company in Colorado, it is bigger and pushes a lot of air; there is greater low-end power and more turbo lag, but my god it is great when spooled up: effortless.

I put on the most aggressive rubber the wheels would take.

Had the head tweaked and enhanced for better breathing and near-indestructibility.

Replaced the engine compartment wiring.

I still plan to change out my exhaust (goodbye, cat!) to a wider pipe: that will make a definite difference.

Reply to
zencraps

I haven't tweaked my wife's 740 NA (she loves it stock), but have modded my 244 Turbo.

Things I've done that I'd suggest:

Front and rear IPD swaybars.

Lower with IPD springs.

Shock / strut upgrade.

Support / stiffening rods, as available.

Turbo upgrade: I got one from an aftermarket company in Colorado, it is bigger and pushes a lot of air; there is less low-end power and more turbo lag now because the vanes are bigger and heavier and take longer to spool up, but my god it is great when spooled up: effortless power at speed with seemingly endless reserves.

I put on the most aggressive rubber the wheels would take.

Had the head tweaked and enhanced for better breathing and near-indestructibility.

Replaced the engine compartment wiring.

I still plan to change out my exhaust (goodbye, cat!) to a wider pipe: that will make a definite difference.

Reply to
zencraps

I have Megasquirt&Spark Extra in mine. Around 275hp with M5 mustang transmission.

Now it is getting a turbo and manifold upgrade

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Wow, that is one super rusty engine block, the manifold sure looks nice though.

What's the purpose of cutting out the drain bung in the block? I didn't look at every pic yet.

Reply to
James Sweet

That dead engine block served its purpose as a jig. The drain cut was to help me accurately bend the drain pipe. While I was bending it the pipe had to be longer than necessary in order to get a good grip on it. The only way to test fit it was to swing it in position.