engine stops for half hour and gives no ODB readout at all

I've got trouble with my 850 10V 1995: sometimes during driving the engine suddenly stops. All warning lights lit and starter works, but engine won't run. The engine temp meter now gives exactly 'low temp' and ODB gives NO read-out at all (A2,by pressing button LED flashes once and does not lit anymore) After 30-45 minutes the temp meter comes back up and engine runs fine again. ODB gives 1-1-1. This happend allready 4 times, with intervals of sometimes one kilometer and another time 1200(!) kms in city or highway or even at idle speed... I've changed the main fuel relay and I am wondering if someone recognizes this issue or has any tips. I'm about to change the motor management computer...

thanks a lot! Theo

Reply to
theo

FWIW, the computer would be at the very bottom of my suspect list.

The lack of codes suggests (but does not prove) the ECU is not surprised the engine has quit. Things that cause that are ignition switch trouble (as far as the ECU knows you turned the car off) and ignition failure. Interruptions to fuel delivery rarely cause the warning light to come on, also, except in the same way that restarting the engine does.

It is vital to determine whether the fuel or ignition is failing. A spray of starting fluid into the air cleaner when the engine is dead will sort that out; if you get a "vroom" when you try to start it the ignition is good and the fuel isn't getting to the engine. Otherwise the ignition is the primary suspect.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

I've seen this on 10 valvers over here, and the computer was the culprit. Those Siemens computers seem to have this problem.

Reply to
Mike F