850 auto transmission problem

Hi akk, wonder if anyone can help with an auto transmission problem on a '94

850, with 140k miles on it.

Smooth changes around town, never a problem. Get up to speed, 50-60ish, all nice and smooth.

When I slow down, about half the time I get a "clunk" that you can feel through the car as I slow down through 20mph, and another as the car comes to a halt.

If the "clunks" have happened, it also does the same thing when moving off.

Any thoughts? Nick

Reply to
wobble-man

ATF ever been changed? Start there, a good flush and replacement. Box could be approaching toast though :(

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

ATF OK, box smooth as anything most the time. It feels much more like a control issue than a box issue. Maybe the box has had it :-(

Reply to
wobble-man

I wonder if you have checked the engine mounting on the top of the motor that stops the engine rotating on its axis (i.e. front and backwards). I believe these fail regularly. It may be the cause of your noise.

Regards Barry

Reply to
Baz

I've not checked the engine mounts, but will now. I'll report back after I've had a look.

Cheers, WM

Reply to
wobble-man

I've checked, nothing looks wrong there. Must be somewhere else :-(

Reply to
wobble-man