Auto transmission

Hi all, took the kids out to panto tonight, noticed reverse gear seemed a bit twitchy (technical term?), anyway later after driving home and parking the car, reverse gear would not select, all forward gears seem ok. I seem to recall years ago with my first auto someone mentioning that transmission oil quality and /or filters can cause gear selection problems. The car is a

51 plate 2ltr Ford Mondeo Zetec and all servicing is up to date. Any thoughts before I lash it into the local dealer? Many thanks and merry Christmas to you all.

Rob

Reply to
Robbie Mayhem

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Robbie Mayhem" saying something like:

Oops. It hasn't done about 70kmiles, has it? General consensus and experience in these parts is 60 - 70K is about the mileage the Mondy autobox is junk.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I thought that this was only the Mk2. Surely a 51 plate will be Mk 3 (I've seen Mk3 on a Y plate).

I thought that they'd bought in the auto-boxes on the Mk3s and were using a Getrag box (I'm sure it's the same manufacturer they use for BMWs).

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

There's a getrag-ford joint venture making most ford transmissions. Getrag make the manuals for BMW, Audi and Porsche amongst others.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

BMW conventional autos are ZF. Dunno about the SMG transmissions - but I doubt the Mondeo has these. BMW manuals are IIRC Getrag, though. Do Getrag make conventional autos? This would suggest not.

Dave Plowman (News)

Ah. OK.

Ford may well have screwed up the firmware again then!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

No, only about 36k.