Auto Transmission Problem

I have a 1 yr old Mitsubishi Space Star (Dutch designed and built) with

6,500 km on the clock. It has had a problem with the auto transmission for several months which has not been fixed by the dealer. When I go through 1st to second gear the motor revs (revs go from 3500 to 4200) between gears.. The change seems slow and is not synchronised with the throttle. This only happens for the first change after the car has been standing for several hours e.g in the morning after standing all night. It does not happen after it is warmed-up. It is under warranty but the dealers have no idea where to start.

Anyone got any ideas? TIA.

Reply to
Lindsay Williams

dealers have no idea where to

Sounds like a pretty slack dealer to me: its their job to know where to start. I would guess their attitude is "its not broken, lets delay having to actually do anything".

OK, so where to start. If the engine is reving as it changes, then its OBVIOUS that the transmission is in effect sticking in neutral. That is, instead of holding in 1st, selecting 2nd, then switching from 1st to 2nd as quickly as possible, there's a time lag between when 1st releases, and 2nd engages. The issue is now what might cause this.

hours e.g in the morning after standing all night. It does not happen after it is warmed-up.

Well, if its been sitting for long enough, all residual fluid pressure in the transmission will have subsided. When you start it up, it takes a while for the pressure to build enough to enable the correct change pressure. This is more than needed to just select 1st (ie it has to handle two change bands, not just one)

So, it may be as simple as low fluid level in the transmission. Has the dealer actually checked this? Has he also checked the connections to the transmission ECU. There are external sensors (AFAIK) that may be malfunctioning too.

You have a warranty: so I would politely tell the dealer to pull his finger out and start thinking about the problem.

Stewart DIBBS

Stewart DIBBS

You might want to try a different dealer. I had a warranty issue on my first car (not a Mitts). The dealer had the same response, till the warranty ran out, then he had a fix, and the big dollars started flowing. Once burned, twice learned. You have a warranty for a reason, use it. The dealers have a great deal of resources behind them, including the manufacturer, they can fix it. If they tell you it's normal, ask to test drive a new car on the lot to compare. If it doesn't do the same thing, point it out to the service manager. But just in case, keep copies of all your documentation with reference to this issue.

Nirodac.

Reply to
Nirodac

Thanks for the helpful reply, Stewart. As you say, it is the dealer's problem but it is also my problem running backwards and forwards and leaving the car several times. I just wanted to educate my BS sensors!

I have just assumed that they have checked the fluid level, especially as it has just been in for its 12 month service. I have just checked it. After a short trip (2 km) the fluid level is 9 mm (3 eights of an inch) ABOVE the top of the "hot" band zone. So, if anything,. it is overful. What effect does that have?

I certainly am going to push the dealership on Monday when I report that their swap of the 2nd gear solenoid was ineffectual.

Thanks and cheers.

Reply to
Lindsay Williams

Thanks for the reply. You are right, they will eventually be able to marshall the resource to fix it. They have a call out to "Mitsubishi Technical" but they seem slow in responding. Good suggestion about trying a new one but I would have to be sure it was cold/stood for some time. I am keeping notes - no written docs to date.

Thanks and cheers.

Reply to
Lindsay Williams

Errr, have just run the car for 10 min and re-checked the ATF level with the car in Park and engine running. The level showed halfway in the Hot zone so that seems to look normal.

Reply to
Lindsay Williams