'92 960 - Intermittent headlights, and a clunk

Hi all,

Two problems with our '92 960; firstly, the headlights are sometimes there, sometimes not. High beams work just fine, but low only some times. Everyrhing I hear says it's the headlight relay, and possibly just corroded connectors. But I understand some of these relays are not removable, and I sure can't get the one I think it is to budge. Do I risk doing something nasty if I apply excessive force? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

Second problem is a clunk from the rear passenger side. It seems to be more noticeable when the car is cold, but that could be my imagination. I'd think that would put it somewhere in the realm of differently expanding metals, something that snugs up tight when hot, and is loose when cold. I had the muffler etc. replaced about a year ago, don't know if that's of consequence. I'd like to track it down, if only to be sure it's not something more serious.

Ta

Robert Smith

Reply to
Spiggy Topes

The socket for the headlight relay melted in our '85 760 - the connector obviously heated up and melted the plastic before it became intermittent. Take a look with a flashlight around the socket edge where it mounts and see if the edges are still straight or if they have that Salvador Dali look.

I removed the oxidation from the relay pins with ScotchBrite and tightened the female parts with pliers (they pulled right through the deformed socket), then hot-glued the relay back down. So far, so good. My next step is to clean the pins again and try soldering the connections.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

When first starting off the antilock brakes will do a self test. You may feel that.

If it is driving, then the rear shocks might need replacing. I believe that yours, like mine, has self-levelng shocks, and that the one might be taking longer to pump up first thing in the morning. If the car has

90,000 miles or more without changing those, then they most likely are in need of being replaced.. Also check the other various bushings back there as one or more may have failed...

..or if you have kids, the cereal they have dropped into the spare tire well has lured some rats, and they are asleep in the morning when you drive off, and they fall off the spare tire making a clunk noise.. ;-)

__ __ Randy & \ \/ /alerie's \__/olvos '90 240 Estate - '93 960 Estate

Reply to
Randy G.