940 Starter Run-on

My 1994 940 has begun to make an odd noise when starting. The starter will engage, and the engine start, then a sound like a loosly spinning gear slowing down is made. It is quite loud, and can be heard inside and outside of the car. Obviously something is not right.

Based on this sketchy (!) information, has anyone experienced something like this with their 940/740? And, if so, what was the cause and correction?

My impression is that the starter is becoming "hung" and still spins after starting the engine, or the return spring/system on the starter is not retracting the gears properly. In either case it seems that the starter needs to be replaced.

Before I break out the socket wrenches, does anyone have any experience with something like this?

NC Man (Please post replies to this group; direct email doesn't work)

Reply to
NC Man

Mine is earlier, but when the motor was having trouble starting the starter began staying engaged and continuing to crank after letting go of the key. Apparently that can happen when the battery is becoming run down. When the starting problem was fixed the other problem went away, but it added to the confusion.

Reply to
jg