Any interest in an '89 760 Turbo in Pittsburgh?

I have a 1989 760 turbo in Pittsburgh, PA, that I need to get rid of. It has 210,000 miles and numerous small problems, but I recently acquired a

1991 740 non-turbo that's in better condition, so the 760 must go.

I suspect it's not worth much, but I hate to send it to the boneyard when it has potential to be a good driver for someone. It runs well, but gets horrible fuel economy and leaks oil like mad.

Please email me if you have any interest.

Thanks,

--Dale

Reply to
Dale James

Here's some more information:

I was never certain about why fuel economy was so bad. I even replaced the air mass meter (expensive part), but that was even worse.

It's possible that it was only so bad because I never really drove it on the highway (city only), but since that's what I need a car for, the low compression of the turbo engine just might not have been capable of producing reasonable economy.

This car was our "good" car; the one we relied on most. We bought a new Hyundai to replace my wife's car (1986 Saab 900 that the auto trans blew out on), and I bought the 740 I'm using now this past November because I just got tired of trying to figure out what might be wrong with the 760.

The 760 has functioning air conditioning, newer Nivomat shocks, TONS of new ignition parts (I spent a fortune trying to track down a hot start problem, which turned out to be a faulty turbo over-pressure switch). The leather interior is mostly intact (one *small* tear in driver's seat).

I replaced the cylinder head and head gasket at about 180,000 miles.

I really am willing to consider any offer.

Reply to
Dale James

I just wanted to add to anyone in Pennsylvania -- the car passed its annual PA state safety inspection with NO problems in September, 2006.

Thanks,

--Dale

Reply to
dale.james

Those old Saab 900s are fantastic cars, the auto trans was a poorly made afterthought though, the 5 speed completely transforms a 900 into the car it was always meant to be.

Reply to
James Sweet

More info that may make someone leap at this:

The car runs great and is road worthy. I would not hesitate to drive it anywhere -- I routinely drove it to Columbus (~200 miles), and central WV (~180 miles).

Someone, please take this car off my hands....

Thanks,

--Dale

Reply to
Dale James

You could try posting it on craigslist, there's also the IPD classifieds. Unfortunately this is a global group, so the chances of finding someone else in your area are much smaller than on a local advertising forum.

Reply to
James Sweet