'89 760 turbo fuel requirements?

The motor is a B230FT.

The owner's manual says to use high-octane. Given the rapidly rising cost of all grades, I was wondering if I could cheap out and use regular. I drive it very conservatively. I thought the turbos were a lower compression engine, and thus would not require high-octane.

Anyone? Bueller?

Also, what fuel economy should I expect for this car? I seem to only get

15 MPG, regardless of highway or city.

Thanks,

--Dale

Reply to
Dale James

Our old 89' 16V 740 hated regular, and so does our 960... The engine isn't designed to run it, and has to retard the timing.

You should get better then the SUV like 15MPG... we get 12L per 100kms in town and 8-9L per 100kms with our 960 (which seem to do better then the old

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Looking in my owner's manual for the 89 740 (UK), on the specs page, for the B230FT it says a minimum octane of 91 unleaded

A friend of mine (UK based) used to have an 89 760 turbo (I presume the engine would be the same?) he got a very similar MPG to you.

hope this helps,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve Rodgers