Coolant Expansion tank will not drain

Despite losing a great deal of coolant due to a split coolant hose the coolant expansion tank remains full. Puzzled! After hose repair how do I refill the cooling system when the expansion tank is already full?

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Sorry........ omitted details: 1979 850 AWD Light Pressure Turbo.

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Clogged with debris?

Reply to
Jordan

: > Andy I. : >

: >

: : Clogged with debris?

Thanks Jordan. Not that I'm aware of.

Andy I.

Reply to
Andy

Something a piece of wire can confirm? I've heard of dead flies clogging oil lines - you never know.

Reply to
Jordan

Remove the tank (or drain with a siphon hose) and have a good look inside. The small hose on top is the "return" line from the rad, the bigger hose underneath is the "feed" line to the engine. Quite possible to have rust or sludge or bits of odd stuff clogging the outlet after all this time.

After all, the tank's been in there for 33 years, right?

Reply to
Sanity Clause

There are two hoses one under and one on the side of the expansion tank ,have you checked the under one ?Other wise it,s a blockage

Reply to
jrobertson

As far as I'm aware, 850's only appeared in 1992. So how come the OP has one made in 1979? Are you sure he didn't mean 1997?

Reply to
Roger Mills

: > Thanks Jordan. : > Not that I'm aware of. : : Remove the tank (or drain with a siphon hose) and have a good look inside. : The small hose on top is the "return" line from the rad, the bigger hose : underneath is the "feed" line to the engine. Quite possible to have rust or : sludge or bits of odd stuff clogging the outlet after all this time. : : After all, the tank's been in there for 33 years, right? : > Sorry........ omitted details: **1979** 850 AWD Light Pressure Turbo. ::-)

Sorry again Jordan! Not quite 33 years. It's an 850 and 1997 vintage not

1979. (Is that called dyslexia?) Andy.
Reply to
Andy

Thanks "jrobertson",