Is this a mis-aligned timing belt????????????????

Forgot to ask, if so, can I adjust it easily with just this cover removed?

1987 740 GLE B230F
Reply to
Jamie

My neighbor walked over and said I can't judge the timing by the position of the belt, so I am not sure if these marks should always line up or not. I would say they should. But, I could be wrong.

Reply to
Jamie

Thanks Bob. I have to ask - would 3 teeth make a noticeable difference in engine performance? Right now the engine really runs like crap from a stop - no power. Once I get going it does better.

It starts and idles fine, but it really sucks out of the starting gate. When I get into 3rd gear and up she runs like a real car. Before 3rd gear it runs like a 90 year old mule.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Just gotta be a wise guy. If it didn't make a difference they wouldn't go to the trouble of putting marks on things so one could do the job effortlessly and have the correct result. As the teacher said in second grade, "Check your work BEFORE you turn it in." Your guy didn't and as you can tell it makes a noticeable difference.

Bob

Reply to
User

If that happens it is certainly time for a new damper/pulley!

John

Reply to
John Horner

Three teeth off would make a very big difference! One tooth off will screw things up.

BTW, properly installed belts don't just slip on their own. If the belt jumped, something was done wrong.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I don't know this engine but I do know that most people DO NOT check the "timing belt tension" 500 miles after fitting - FFS ... that is what the "automatic timing belt tensioner" shown in the picture is for !

Nick

Reply to
Nick
Reply to
Per Groth Ludvigsen

Thanks all. I'm going to have the timing checked by someone more familiar with Volvo's than I. I had the crankshaft machined, the bearings replaced, all the seals changed, the timing belt, tensioner replaced, fuel injector seals replaced and a new engine wiring harness installed recently. All done by a friend of a neighbor who's a great mechanic - just never worked on a Volvo.

So, I am trying to work any bugs or glitches out. I post more when I get the timing checked correctly.

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Have them double check the wiring and vacuum hose connections...

Reply to
--------------

Will do. I found a hole about the size of a pencil eraser on the bottom of the intake hose between the AMM and throttle body. I patched that, but not sure how much of an effect that hole would have. The engine still didn't seem to do better after that.

I'm going to give Southwest Auto in Dallas a shot, they are supposed to be Volvo experts - I just hope the labor rates are fair.

I don't know how much it usually costs to check/adjust timing belts if needed.

Reply to
Jamie

I stopped by the local mechanic and just by listening and pumping the accelerator he thinks the timing is retarded. I am scheduled to go in next week and have the gears checked for alignment and if needed the belt repositioned with the gears.

Price: $130 (3 hours labor).

I still want to put a timing light on the car to see.

Reply to
Jamie

Thats a very reasonable labor rate. It's US dollars in the US?

Reply to
Steve

Yes, $130 USD. I still want to put a timing light to confirm. thanks.

Reply to
Jamie

The price would be almost 3X that here in No. California!

Reply to
John Horner

Wow - that is high.

I am in a very small town in NE Texas and the labor rates are reasonable - for most things. The downside is that I was driving 80 miles to Dallas to get parts when I couldn't get them online in time.

Reply to
Jamie