Mis-aligned shifter?

Hi group. I've been haveing some shifter troubles lately. 65 swingaxle,

67 nosecone. I posted earlier with what I misdiagnosed as clutch troubles but I have since ruled that out. Clutch engages and disengages nicely. With the engine running, clutch depressed, I cannot engage any gears without grinding. Serious girnding. With the engine off, I can engage the gears but not terribly smoothly, at least, not as smoothly as I believe it should be. The transmission is brand spankin new, Zero miles. The shift coupling is connected and safety wired in place, the set screw is completely aligned with the guide hole on the nose cone. Am I missing something? Can the entire transmission be canted enough to throw off the shift pattern? If so, how can I measure it? Anyone else have any suggestions where I should look for the culprit. I know I am the cuplrit because I put the thing in there but something is amiss and I am obviously missing it. Thanks for any help.

Joel Bartlett

Reply to
jtbartlett

"With the engine running, clutch depressed, I cannot engage any gears without grinding. Serious girnding."

This would tend to implicate your clutch even though you said you have diagnosed it as being okay. If the pilot bearing in the gland nut is frozen then you may think the clutch has released based on the feel of the pedal, but the input shaft will still be turning and thus prevent you from being able to select a gear.

Bottom line: If you can get it into gear with the engine off, but cannot get it into gear with the engine running, then it means the transaxle and the engine are not disconnecting properly when you press the clutch.

Chris

Reply to
halatos

Here's how I tested the clutch: Engine off, car in gear, turned it over. using the starter I I moved the car forward. quickly depressing the clutch, the car stopped moving. Clutch is not the culprit in this case. All these parts are new. If I had a frozen gland nut bearing I believe there would be audible evidence but there isn't at all.

Reply to
jtbartlett

This type of test would not indicate if the clutch is fully releasing. Have you tried tightening the wing-nut at the transaxle?

Chris

Reply to
halatos