O2 Sensor for 1990 740: Universal Fit as good as Specific?

The IPD catalog lists two Oxygen sensors for the 1990 700 series:

Universal Fit (3-wires), 1985-1993: $84.50

700,900, 1988-1993: $192.50

That's quite a price difference. Is there any performance/functional difference between these two parts? If they're equally good, why not go with the Universal fit?

Thanks, Jay R.

Reply to
JayR

There is a universal fit O2 sensor in the 40 dollar price range available, I'm sure someone here will post a link for ya.

Reply to
Jack in Dallas

The universal fit sensor won't have the connector to match up to your car's wiring harness, so you'll have to cut the wire off your old sensor and connect it to the new one. The heaters on the various sensors are different wattage depending on how hot the location where the sensor is mounted. The shield over the sensing tip is also different, also based on the sensor's mounting location.

Also, there are 3 possible sensors for 1990 740s, one for turbo, one for non-turbo with bosch injection, and one for non-turbo with Regina injection.

Reply to
Mike F

Mine's a California 1990 740GL, non-turbo. I guess I'll just go with the expensive O2 sensor rather than muck with splicing and all that.

Is IPD the best place to get it? I'm assuming anyplace else is cheaper than the dealer.

Thanks, Jay R.

Reply to
JayR

Reply to
Brick_0

Better sign in for you car and zipcode. My link probably won't work until you do.

Brick_0

1&PTSet=C> &Description=Emissions&SourcePage=PartTypes&SearchFor=Oxygen+Sensor >> Click on the camera to see the picture.>

performance/functional

Reply to
Brick_0

Go to Murray's Auto parts and get Bosch 13913 O2 sensor.

It's about $38.00, splice it in, same color wires...no brainer.

Out,

rfenergy

Reply to
rfenergy