S70 Timing Belt

My dealer says the new timing belt interval for my '99 S70 is 105,000 miles. Does anyone know why it has been extended? Have improvements been made in the tensioner and/or belt? My 240 called for the belt every 50k miles, so that's what I'm used to...

Reply to
jcshreve

Of course improvements have been made... Even at 50K miles, we'd be happy with our Volvo (1993 960 - interference engine) or VW (1999.5 Golf, Diesel... so you better believe valves would crash if that belt broke!)... Both have very short belt change intervals... both are around 60K Kms (40K miles or so).

50K vs 105K Miles, saving money is great isn't it? Timing belt is a costly job on most cars, I would be glad to never change it at all.... Worst interval ever, 60K Kms on my VW TDI... this is suppose to be a high mileage design, why they didn't use a chain or a longer service belt (okay, they do now... but not in 99 spec cars) boggles my mind and drains my wallet (I do
Reply to
Rob Guenther

That's in line with most current models. I don't know if the belts have improved or the confidence level been raised, but there you have it.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

The tensioner design on your engine was changed during the '98 model year. The interval on the old design was 70,000 (still respectable).

Reply to
Jim Carriere