Tire Size Substitution on 940 Wagon?

My 94 940T has 205-55-16 tires. I need winter tires and have found a good used set of 205-50-16.

Will those work? Do they use the same rims?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Kaplan

Yes, they'll work, and they'll fit the rims ok. The car will sit slightly lower - with about 10mm less ground clearance, and will be slightly lower geared - so that the speedo and odometer will read just over 3% higher than actual, but not enough to be worried about.

Do make sure though that the load and speed indexes of the substitute tyres are suitable for your car.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Your speedometer will be off and you will have compromised load carrying capability. For snow tires if anything you want to go the other direction, narrower and taller. There is a handy tire size calculator at:

You can use it to see what the approximate speedometer error would be for different sizes.

195/60-16 would probably be an idea snow tire size for you.

That said, the 205-50-16s will "work", depending on how you define working.

John

Reply to
John Horner