tire size on dually

whats the largest tire size you can run on a stock '02 3500 4x4 dually without any scrubbing at all? thanks.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

235/85R16. 255/85R16's will just barely touch empty, and will get pretty warm when loaded.
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

are there any taller, skinny tires that will fit?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

If you intend for this truck to tow heavy loads, why would you want to make the tires any bigger than they already are?

Reply to
TBone

None that I know of. It's the section width, 235mm in this case, that's your limiting factor on the rear. I've never heard of a 235 tire with a higher aspect ratio than 85%. You're looking for a 235/95 or so... I've never heard of a major manufacturer offering that size. A quick Google search turned up one manufacturer: Kenda USA. Ever hear of them? Me neither... I couldn't find any specific info. on that tire, and it may in fact not even be available yet. If it's not a load range E, you don't even want to think about it.

Of course - if you want to go the spacer route, then you can fit just about any size tire you want. I've seen 39.5"x11" Swampers mounted on a dually with a 2" aluminum spacer, on the stock wheels. The only problem there is the custom modifications needed to the gooseneck trailer to make it fit :)

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

while towing heavy loads is the primary duty, off road prowess is equally important. this is why most 1 tons up here are single rear wheel (running aggressive off road tires). during a montana winter the interstates can seem like off road wilderness. if a dually on stock tires with 3.54 gears is enough to tow (everyone i talk to insists that it is) then i would think that a dually on 4.10's with 33s (or even 35s) would be equally capable.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

what about something like this?

Nathan W. Collier

Well that would explain the need and desire for more aggressive rubber but does little to explain why you want them taller, especially when you have multiple vehicles to work with.

Reply to
TBone

I'd never run a bias-ply tire on the highway. If you want a set of tires for off-road only, then yeah, the 9x34's would work.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

argh.....i never noticed they were bias. :-(

ive heard of 33x9.50's, any chance of finding them in 16" with proper load rating?

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

the additional clearance, the larger radius makes climbing obstacles easier (railroad timbers for example, do it quote often), and mainly for the "happy medium" final drive ratio (between 4.10 and 3.54).

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

If you go to a *Mart and look at their $95 bicycle offerings, you might find some of them with Kenda tires. I see Kenda tires in some of my bicycling catalogs.

Never realized they made tires for bigger vehicles as well, but why not? I suppose if you can make little tires you can probably make bigger ones too.

SMH

Reply to
Stephen Harding

Yeah, most of the Super Swamper line are bias-plys. The exceptions are the TSL Radial and the SSR.

Doubt it. Again, the closest I know of (and used to run on my '95) is a

255/85R16. Without a load, they're okay (they just barely touch - not enough to heat up the tires, but just enough to make them shiny on the inside sidewalls), but you wouldn't want to run them with any kind of substantial load.

However - is the extra 3/4" of height between a 33x9.50 and a 235/85 (which is just about 32" tall) really significant? I would think that a decently-aggressive tread on a 235/85 would get you through just about anything that you'd want to put a dually through.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence