Used Car: Volvo S80 vs. Acura TL?

My fiance is looking for a car. We have it down to two and would like some suggestions/opinions on which one to go with.

2003 Volve S80 - 44,000 miles 2003 Acura TL - 27,000 miles

Price wise, they are going to be very comparable to each other so that isn't too much of an issue. My main concern is mechanical reliability. I have a lot of confidence in the Acura but am not sure about the Volvo

(no experience w/ these cars). She LOVES driving the Volvo. Based on the extensive research (edmunds, msn, etc.) we've done so far when it comes to reliability and cost to maintain, the Acura gets a slight nod.

I would like to keep this car for 5-10 years as it will be one of our two primary cars.

Your thoughts? (We may be making this decision as soon as tomorrow 8/1)

I also posted this in alt.autos and alt.autos.acura.

-diro

Reply to
diroberts

Jamie

Unless the year of the Volvo is 199X and before, I do a thumbs down on newer Volvos.

PS: I also happen to love Acuras. Honda is a GREAT company who seems to build BETTER cars as time goes by.

;-)

Jamie

Jamie wrote:

Reply to
Jamie

Your arguments are superb and very usefull. Keep up the good work.

Niels

Reply to
Niels Bengaard

Am Mon, 31 Jul 2006 17:19:50 +0200 schrieb Niels Bengaard:

I do not see one single argument in this posting. This is not helpful at all. Where are the facts. ;-(

*ROTFL*

Joerg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

I would go with the Acura fir the same reasons as above. Additionally, the six cylinder volvo engines that are spec'd in the s80 seem to be prone to many more problems than the five cylinders.

-Ed

Reply to
Ed

Acura gets my vote. Since the Ford takeover, Volvo has gone WAY down in quality. Everything seems nice on the outside, but it's just a Ford underneath.

On the other hand, Acura has taken Honda's legendary quality and reliablity to the next level. Sorry, but Volvo just can't compare.

Reply to
Robert

do you want asian or european style and function? drive each one for 2 hrs straight and see what one is more comfy....

Robert wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

Am 31 Jul 2006 10:55:40 -0700 schrieb Robert:

Crap! The discussion is S80 vs Acura. The S80 was developed long before the passenger car division of Volvo was sold to the Ford Group.

There is not one single vital part produced or deliverd by Ford in a S80. Even the current V70 and S50/V50 are a Volvo-development.

Volvo belongs to the Ford Premier Group which up to now has not very much to do with the Ford mass products. That may change in the future.

Facts and figures please. No unfounded prejudices!

Jörg

Reply to
Joerg Lorenz

The fact is, I can't figure out how to get Volvo back to the way they used to be...

;-)

Reply to
Jamie

...that we've decided to go with the 2003 Acura TL. the local dealer checked out the car and gave it their stamp of approval which is good enough for me.

Reply to
diroberts

Not true. The Jaguar X and S types are both derived from English Fords. The new Volvo S40/V50 are derived from the Ford Focus.

Just look at any of the independent surveys like Consumer Reports or JD Powers. Modern Volvos are easily bested by modern Acuras.

John

Reply to
John Horner

i'll take sheedish over asian any day...if you like asian..make sure to drive and consider the kia...they get goo counsumer ratings also....i personaly think they suck...but, thats just my personal opinion.....

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^

That would be European over Asian - like Fiat over Honda ;-)

My daughter-in-law has a Kia. It wouldn't be my choice. She reports having put more money into non-warranty repairs than in car payments (so much for the 10 year / 100K mile bumper-to-bumper warranty!)

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Come on ladies and gents. This was about a 2003 Volvo versus a 2003 Acura. Asian over Swedish is a bit ambiguous.

I love my 1987 Volvo -- matter of fact, I forgot to tell a story:

In 1987 I was a passenger in my best friend's mid 80's 240. We were driving about 50 miles an hour behind some friends of ours in a Mercedes sedan. They stopped suddenly to a halt, we weren't looking ahead and by the time we hit the brakes we slammed them in the rear at about 45 miles per hour.

That was the first time in my life I didn't wear a seatbelt. I was in the front passenger seat and was able to protect my face with my arm as my head and elbow smashed into the windshield.

I cracked the windshield, but did not have a mark on me. The 4 of us climbed out with his front end smashed in and the trunk smashed on the Mercedes. We all walked away without the scratch. The Volvo was claimed a total loss.

No injuries in either car.

That being said, I love my 1987 740. Prior to this car I owned a 2001 Honda Accord EX. To this day that Honda was the finest car I have ever owned. I sold it to save money to buy a house.

While restoring my Volvo, I am driving a 2000 Hyundai Accent. While dependable, I would rather have an accident in the Volvo versus the Accent.

That also being said, my Honda was a car that I drove to 75,000 miles before I sold it and I never planned on spending a dime on that car until 100,000 miles.

I'd love an Acura, but I don't want to have a note right now. It would be great to drive, but my 740 is a dream to work on. I get satisfaction with its simplicity.

Now, recent Volvos I fear aren't the everyday DIY stuff. I fear in 20 years they won't be the fixer uppers that our 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's models are.

2 cents.
Reply to
Jamie

Bah.

Volvo hasn't made a good car since they went FWD with the 850.

I bought an 850 Turbo; it didn't handle well, lots of problems: sold it, and went back to a 244 Turbo...ahhhhhh.

My wife's 740 just got rearended while stopped by a Mazda MX6.

The jap car peeled open like a grape; minimal damage to the good old Volvo.

Older Volvos are stoutly built.

roll dem bones

Reply to
zencraps

"Volvo hasn't made a good car since they went FWD with the 850"

out of all the volvos I have owned...none of them have been "bad"... the newer ones were just a bit more expensive to maintain...no real lemons though...I now have a 1993 940t w/250,000 miles on it (btw: drive a asian car w/250,000 on it some time...if you can find one that is not a pick up truck)...and a 2000 s80t6 w/150,000 on the clock...

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote:

Reply to
~^ beancounter ~^