Volvo 240dl A/C - Freeze12 Conversion...

Hi -

I'm the proud owner of a 1986 Volvo 240dl, 87k miles, automatic. My A/C has not been cooling for some time, and I'd like to get it recharged before the next summer heat comes around.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with Freeze 12 conversions. To upgrade the system to R134 would run me around $1,600 US. I've heard that you can convert to Freeze 12 for around $300, and that it is EPA certified for use in cars.

Also, does anyone know of a reputable place in the San Francisco/San Jose Bay Area that does this type of conversion?

Thank you in advance for any responses and help!

- Stu

Reply to
Stuart Cianos

conversions.

I did it on my '84 non turbo wagon, it works very well. Sorry I can't help with a shop, but a Volvo kit to replace everything you need for R-134 is only ~$250 and a couple of hours work, you may want to shop around. Dave Shannon daveshan_at_spamsoneonelse_cox.net (Spring Valley CA)

1988 240 DL 19X,XXX 1984 245 DL 20X,XXX 1984 245T 19X,XXX '01 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 14K
Dave Shannon

conversions.

How can it possibly cost $1600? I converted my AC to R134a, granted it's a

700 series, but very similar system to the 240's, it was under $200 and took me about 4 hours, if you don't have access to a vacuum pump you could have it charged by an AC shop, but you're still looking at under $300, worst case under $500 if you have them do all the work. Call around.
Reply to
James Sweet

Does that price ($1600) include a new evaporator? There's a lot of labor involved in getting it under the dash. If it doesn't include one, that's a rip-off. When I had my AC converted to R134a (on a 700 series) about

5 - 6 years ago, it was $375.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

That's a good point, perhaps it does, when I did mine I used the existing evaporator and it worked fine, perhaps if you live in an area with very hot summers you'd want to look into that, but then the 240 AC system is marginal at best, even when working to factory spec.

Reply to
James Sweet

I am not sure what Freeze 12 is I have had nothing but bad experiences with R12 replacement gases all that I have done and seen done have had catastrophic compressor failures within two years, in Australia we have a LPG based gas to replace R12 also but my concern and others in the AC trade is the flammability of it, it does work well though.The only long term conversion in my mind is R134a but it shouldn't cost that much. but seeing that your system is not operating this price probably includes a compressor and flushing or some other major item ask exactly what the conversion price includes. Joe

conversions.

Reply to
Joe

The Volvo kit updates the A/C to the YM 90- system, I.e. The 240 version of the 740 system, (flooded evaporator, orifice tube and accumulator instead of the old Chrysler expansion valve and receiver-drier system).

For early systems Freeze 12 will just drop in--there's no conversion involved.

Bob

Reply to
volvowrench

Hi -

The compressor is running quite noisily and therefore that price did include a new compressor, and possibly a new evaporator... Than you everyone for all your help -- it's been really helpful!

Just curious, does anyone know of a good shop in the San Francisco/San Jose Bay Area in general for A/C work?

- Stu

Reply to
Stuart Cianos