'02 Golf DRL swap

Has anybody considered, or even accomplished changing the DRL on an A4 Golf from using the low beams to using the small, secondary bulb that resides in the high beam reflector?

This little bulb comes on when you turn the headlight switch on and I think it would be a better choice for the DRL. I've found the articles on how to disable the current DRL, but I really don't want to do that.

If I had a Bentley, I could figure it out for myself, but I haven't needed one for it yet.

Thanks Ed

Reply to
Mr.Eddy

You've got to be joking. Better how? You're talking comparing ~55W headlamp bulb to a ~5W parking lamp bulb. That would *not* make a better DRL. How is that teeny 5W bulb going to be effective as a DRL, esp. on a sunny day.

Reply to
Matt B.

Because I don't need a 55W bulb on in the middle of the day, esp. on a sunny day.

If you're not able to answer the question, then don't bother posting.

I never said this is what everybody should do. It's my opinion and that's all that matters because it's my car. And before you start thinking otherwise, this is a completely factory condition car. No mods at all.

I was afraid when I posted this that it would start the whole DRL war. If it does, then I apoligize in advance for the others childish behavior. I may never get my answer now, so I guess I'll break down and buy that Bentley.

Reply to
Mr.Eddy

The point of DRLs is for other people to see you, not for you to see the road. A 5W parking lamp bulb isn't going to work.

I answered because I think it's not a good idea.

Whatever.

I didn't say anything about DRLs being good or bad. I just said that a 5W parking lamp bulb pretty much would not suffice as a DRL.

Going back to your original post:

"it would be a better choice for the DRL".

No it would not. It's a better choice for maybe some sort of ornamental/appearance lighting to be on while your ignition is on but it is NOT a better choice for DRL.

Reply to
Matt B.

Well, the Euro-switch lets you turn on the secondary lights separately from the main headlights and I've read of a way to disable the standard DRL operation with a piece of electrical tape on one of the pins on the back of the switch, so you could probably accomplish this with a slight rewiring of the headlight switch connector.

Not sure of the details though.

...Sean.

Reply to
Sean