1984 Rabbit GTI Starts then dies

Hi

I have a 1984 GTI Rabbit. This morning the car started fine then died after about 5 seconds. It started right back up and then it died a few seconds later.

So I started it a 3rd time. this time I held my foot into the gas pedal a bit and it started and ran at about 2000 rpm. I held it there, after about

10 seconds it dropped down to about 1800 rpm then after another 5-10 seconds it dropped down to about 1500 rpm, and with time slowly the rpm came down. I just took my foot off the gas and let it die.

So I think it might be fuel related. The fuel pump is ok as I put a new one in a few months ago. I have a funny feeling it is the warm up pressure regulator. And I have a few spares as I've owned 3 rabbits a 1980 then a

1977 now the 1984 gti. I think I might just swap the warm up pressure regulator as it only takes 15 minutes. And if that doesn't work start troubleshooting from there.

Anything else I should look at? I will inspect all electrical and vacuum connections too.

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

Being recently installed is reason enough to be suspect.

Reply to
Steve Foley

The fuel pump doesn't seem to be cutting out and I seem to have good pressure. The symptoms seem like fuel or air metering or management based on my experience troubleshooting the other rabbits that I have owned for 23 years. I will keep the fuel pump on my radar as I troubleshoot.

Thanks

Reply to
Tube Audio

If it is that easy just swap that pressure regulator!

I was going to mention maybe one of the fuel distributor boots or another massive air leak.

Reply to
One out of many daves