Radio installation 1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Hi

I am about to install a radio / cd player in my 1984 VW Rabbit GTI.

I got the metal plate from Crutchfield for the front mounting area but there is no support for the sides or the rear of the radio.

Anyone have expierence installing these?

How can I support the rear?

I was thinking of plumbers tape and a self drilling screw, but what would I screw it into? And the radio would have to be installed before I can atttach the plumbers tape to the insdie somewhere and there will be no access, should I pull the heater controls out?

Thanks

Reply to
James Murphy

Randolph

Hi

Yes I saw this and I do have a rubber bumpered screw however the rubber bumpered screw comes short of bracket and hole???

Reply to
James Murphy

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

...snip...

This is one of those jobs where you might have to make a little adaptor bracket or something to get the rubber bumpered screw postion adjusted to where it can do its job. I've had to do this several times with my A1s. It generally requires a hacksaw, file, drill, etc. and a scrap of metal. If the screw is just too short, however, you might be able to use a nut as a link between the present screw and a new plain screw with the same thread. You will have to cut the new screw to make it much shorter though, and of course you will definitely have to saw off the head.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin