2000 Golf broken rear seat release - DIY replaceable?

The left rear release for the seat back on my 2000 Golf is broken. Does anyone know if this is DIY replaceable?

Thanks. KenW

Reply to
kwalters

maybe, depending on your abilities.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

kwalters wrote in news:12t6tc0fefcpp04 @corp.supernews.com:

It's DIY replaceable, sort of, but it's a pain in the ass. There's a metal cable in the seat back that connects the lever to the latches, it tends to fray and break. A replacement cable is about $20 at the VW dealer.

Biggest hassle is getting the seat skin off without tearing it all to hell, so you can get at the innards of the seat back. The seat skin is fastened at the bottom with some metal clamps that I don't think were designed to be removed, but can be pried apart and then bent back on if you're very careful.

Reply to
Fred Mau