’88 Jetta– Idles funny, revs up, and stalls.

Hi. I?m having problems with my 88 jetta. I noticed over the past few days that when I start up the car it tends to rev up the rpms much higher than normal. Usually it hovers around 1000, but now it goes up to 2500-3000. After running a bit it settles down. Today I was stuck in a bad traffic jam. I noticed my temp. guage rising as I was stuck in 1st & 2nd gear for a long time. As the temp. continued to rise my car started to choke and would stall. Restarting would take a bit. THis happened 2-3 times and finally I just parked it. I checked my coolant and it is fine. I also recently put fuel injector cleaner in my tank. Any thoughts? My car often heats up if stuck in 1st or 2nd gear, but this is the first it has started to die on me. Please give advice. Poor college student needing help. Much appreciated.

Reply to
JosephB

Does the rad. fan kick on when the temp. guage rises? If your jetta has a/c you can turn that on , that turns on the fan. If the fan works then it suggests your (rad. fan thermo switch) is not closing or it's relay is not suppling power to the fan.

If the fan doesn't work a most likely cause is corrosion " IN " the fans electrical connection at the fan itself. A close visual inspection would be the place to start .

Reply to
samstone

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:48:10 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: I meant to suggest , running the cars heater and heater fan at full bore will cool the engine somewhat.

Reply to
samstone

Hi Samstone and Al. I will def. try the heater thing next time. Now that you mention it, a friend of mine actually mentioned once that he thought it was weird that my radiator fan doesn?t come on often. I will have a look! And also will have a friend look into the manifold thing as I?m not really that mechanically inclined. Thanks much for the advice! Now at least I have somewhere to start

"samstone" wrote

Reply to
JosephB