LeBaron idles rough/stalls/stumbles

Hello:

I know this will be a difficult one to troubleshoot, but I thought I would start to get some advice and opinions.

I went to start my trusty 1991 LeBaron this morning; the car started, but ran rough and died after a few seconds. I tried

this five, or six times, and it would start, idle rough like it was on three cylinders, and die. No black smoke, no odd

noises, no odd smells.

So, I go into the house to call AAA, and I think to check for codes. Go back out and key cycle for codes and read 55. Tried

starting the car, and it starts and idles fine.

On the drive to work, it dies at a stop sign about 1/4 mile from my house. The car re-starts, idles rough for several

seconds, then smooths out. I continue my way to work, and for the next

5.5 miles no problems.

I get to work, and check codes and again get 55.

So, where do I begin? It has been 26K miles since plugs, wires, distruibutor cap, rotor cap, and fuel fuel filter were

replaced, so I do not suspect these would be the cause. The car just turned over 87K miles, and has been reliable from day

one when I bought it new 15 years ago.

Any advice is appreciated. Have a nice day, Bill

Reply to
billccm

I'm not exactly familiar with this year and you do not indicate what engine, but I'd suggest you start by removing and looking at the plugs to see if they are fouled. I'd also suggest that you thoroughly clean the throttle body and dump a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner into the gas tank.

It could also be a fuel quality (bad gas) or delivery (filter, pump, regulator) issue as well. Good luck.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Thanks for the reply.

The car is a 3.0V6.

I just drove it at lunchtime, and no problems at all. It started right up (cold), idled smooth, and ran great.

I would think bad gas would be always be bad gas. This almost seems like a cold start issue?

I'll let you know what it does tomorrow morning.

Thanks again,

Bill

Reply to
billccm

Bill if it only does it coming to a stop it could be a dirty throttle body, Plugs and wires wouldn't cause this problem. If it isn't a dirty throttle body it could be a map sensor out of calibration, a fuel pressure problem (normally causes lack of power or backfire thru the intake) Or a distributor going out on ya. I would clean the throttle body first to see if that takes care of the problem.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler tech

Reply to
maxpower