vw jetta - steering funny

Hello,

I just got an '85 jetta and the steering (non-power) seems funny...say i'm pulling out of my driveway, if I turn left it's fine but if I go right it turns waay too far...seems like it could go 90 deg! Any thoughts? Highway driving is fine.

Thanks,

Tazu

Reply to
Devin Pantess

possibly a steering rack was installed and the tie rods are not equal in length when the rack is in the middle position. Put the wheels in the straight ahead position and count the number of turns to the left until it stops. Do this test now to the right and compare # of turns. just a thought! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

I got two turns left, two right. There is no problem as long as I am not moving. When I take low speed tight turns, I notice that I can turn more one way than the other. I was looking under the car the other day and noticed that one of mt CV boots was cracked (left) if the joint was going bad would it give this kind of weird steering response?

DEVO

Reply to
Devin Pantess

Did you check the tie rods, control arm bushings, etc.

I have seen some vehicles that have the rear end out of alignment (probably bent components) and the vehicle literally crabs down the street. (Kind of goes sideways) This could make the vehicle turn easier one way than the other. :-o

You could measure right front wheel to right rear wheel and compare to the left wheels measurement.

Just another thought or two! later, dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave