91 Fox Alternator Shot

had a dead battery...took it to autozone..they told me the battery was bad and replaced it for free, as the old one was still under warranty.

it is air-conditioned.

they suggested i test the alternator, so we did...it was kicking out only about

5 A instead of the expected 90 A.

my bently manual tells me that the brushes and regulator can be replaced with alternator still in the car. i'm looking for some advice on whether or not this will solve the problem, if so, how much $$$US am i going to spend for the parts, and what is involved in replacing them. the manual isn't very clear.

or, should i replace the entire alternator?

any advice would be appreciated...if any additional info is required to answer my questions, please let me know.

thanks much andy

Reply to
Agingric37

BTW, the manual says to replace the brushes if they are 5 mm or less. Measure them from the tip of the brush to where the plastic starts. The dealer sells replacement brushes for $5 or so but they usually have to order them in. My replacement regulator came with the brushes.

Reply to
Mustangbrad