'95 Golf Cabrio -- Speedometer erratic, deceleration & radio on without key

'95 Golf Cabrio -- Speedometer erratic, deceleration & radio on without key

I have a '95 Golf Cabrio -- the Speedometer often can become erratic (it'll fly way up and then go way down -- while I am driving along at say 45 mph the speedometer needle will suddenly fly around 20 mph to

80 mph for 30 seconds or more and then it'll go back to working fine

-- the car also then experiences severe deceleration like it is loosing spark, fuel or air -- I am thinking of trying to unplug the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) and seeing if it will stop the problem with the deceleration.

On a side note - might just be an ignition switch problem -- the factory radio now stays on even without key unless I make sure to turn it off with its on/off switch -- I am thinking of changing the switch.

I have the Bentley shop Manual and a laptop with the cable to read the VAG COM codes -- mine read code # 00533 - Idle Speed Regulation: Adaptation Limit (Add) Exceeded

Please any and all advice would really help!

Thanks Chris

Reply to
ChrisCabrio

I am thinking changing the switch will help. Seems the more keys and things on your key ring the faster these ignition switches fail.

Reply to
samstone

The code on the idle speed may have nothing to do with your problem. I believe it generally means that your throttle body is dirty and needs to be cleaned out, and then realigned using VAG-COM. Search the forums, especially the vagcom forum, on vwvortex.com for info on this.

Wish I could help on your speedo issue.

Reply to
starburst