Buying the right starter

Hello, I need a new starter, but I'm not sure which one to buy. On the yellow sticker under the hood, it says engine type 1.8V6FAAX . I assume this is 1.8L, but there still seem to be a couple of options with respect to kilowatts. The starter that I pulled doesn't have a kw rating printed on it. Can anybody help me with this? Thanks, Fred

Reply to
Fred Mann

why not tell the parts man you year & engine & which trans is in the car? May also be a good idea to inform us too?

Higher Kw ratings are usually for diesels.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

'cause I'm an idiot! I don't know how to check which transmission it is (unless you mean manual -- which it is). But am I correct in assuming this is a 1.8L engine? On parts4vws.com they want to know if it's 1.8 16V or 1.8 8V, and I don't know what that second part is referring to. I already got one starter from Autozone and it was either bad or incorrect. The body was a half-inch shorter than the one I pulled. Anyway, now I'm going to Advance Auto to try again, but they had two totally different starters listed for my car -- one was 1.4 kilowatt and one was .8 kilowatts(or "kilometers" as read by the parts guy -seriously)

Reply to
Fred Mann

Am guessing Rabbit GTI. 8 valve, 1.8L. Early 80s.

Maybe an incorrect guess will tweak the information from the poster?

Reply to
Noncompliant

Oops. Yes '83 Rabbit GTI. Not sure how many valves though.

Reply to
Fred Mann

then it's a 8 valve engine and I presume it's a 5 speed trans. Now should be easy to find a starter, but before you do make sure it is the starter and not something like the ignition switch, poor grounds, etc

Reply to
news.wildblue.net

I also have a 79 Rabbit (not GTI). Do you think I could use that starter in the 83 GTI? It looks the same and even has the same VW part number printed on it, but it has an extra terminal. I would have tried it already, but I want to make sure I'm not going to damage the starter from the '79 rabbit. Thanks for all the help!!!! Fred

message

Reply to
Fred Mann