99 passat check engine light

Just wondering if this has happen to anyone and if they could tell me what it ended up being.

I was driving yestday and the check engine light came on, blinking when not on the gas and solid when on the gas, and the car was shaking side to side noticably. My fear is that it threw a cylinder, but I would expect a smoke show from the tailpipe and there was none.

I assume that the blinking of the check light means something to the techs. Just wondering if any might have insight as to what happen.

thanks

Reply to
Fee05

What the light show is trying to tell you is something is wrong and it is waving it's hand up high like a kid in the third grade that knows the answer.

You need to have the codes read from the car's computer to tell you want it knows. Many of the codes can be read for free at many auto parts stores like Autozone and Advanced Auto Parts. In some cases it takes a special VW reader called a VAG-COM.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

AFAIK blinking light NOT GOOD...........should stop engine and check out........damage to cat. conv or possibly engine might occur solid light is a little better and you should be able to drive it but still check out.

Reply to
One out of many Daves