Belt from hell...help?

After burning up my alternator belt, I did as instructed and the alternator seemed to turn freely, so I figured I'll buy a belt, and put it on, check and see how that runs (92 Jetta).

So there's 3 belts on this thing

1) crank to power steering 2) crank to water pump to AC 3) AC to alternator

Having to replace the AC to alternator belt I figured I simply slip off the #2 belt listed above to get room to the inside of the AC pulley, and I'm set. Well, I even removed the adjustment bolts on the AC and moved it down, but still not enough room to get the belt off... I have no freaken idea why its such a problem, but there isn't enough slack to get the belt off... The AC appears to be down as far as it will go as I think it touches the brackets it adjusts to without any further room.

Has anybody experienced this kind of problem? Is there some kind of special trick? Help

Reply to
Chris

Remove all the bolts, including the tensioner eye-bolt assembly and the 'hidden' bolt, on the power steering pump. Push the power steering pump up, remove that belt and then pull the ps pump down. Remove the AC bolts (except the 2 that bolt it to the block) and push it down. Gingerly twisting the belt should eventually free it. The AC/alternator belt is a snap (no pun intended). Now, I haven't done it in a while, so I might be off but it is doable in your driveway. It just takes patience.

Good luck, Darryl.

Reply to
Darryl

As the last guy said, but you just kinda "roll" it off the pulley, like a chain on a sprocket, if you've ever done that....

Reply to
Devin Pantess

That's why dealers charge so much! We know the secret trick... which is... pop the belts off and on with a screw driver once they are loose as possible.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I considered that, but it seemed just a wee bit tighter than I've been used to... it would appear I don't need to touch the PS belt as I just want to move the AC belt off the AC unit, not remove it from the vehicle.. these two belts should therefore be independent.. am I missing something here? Does the PS one have to come off?

Reply to
Chris

Remove the water pump pulley.

Reply to
Eric Rupert

I just replaced my alternator belt ( 92 Passat) Same 3 belt configuration.

IOnce the alternator was removed , I loosened the two bolts ( allen heads ) at the back of the compressor, I then loosened the two bolts at the front ( belt tensioning) . With these loosened the belts come off easily.

Did you loosen the bolts ( allen head) at the back of the compressor ?

Chris wrote:

Reply to
ronh

Yes funny thing, I loosened those two bolts, but there still wasn't enough play to get the belt off...

Reply to
Chris

For the record, I just succeeded in changing the belt, and it was done exactly as stated here... pop it on and off with a screw driver... or in my case I had a tire iron that did the trick...

I'm convinced that's the only way with this thing... what a great secret...

Reply to
Chris