Whistling fan belt.

Re the chap whose Fiesta had a whistling fan belt; It's not the slipping of the belt that matters so much as the fact that it's become "glazed" and it's whistling like when you run your wet finger round the rim of a glass.

On mine I isolated the cause to be the varying drag caused by the alternator when I switched the rear heated screen and headlights on and off, the whistling went on and off too. A single drop of WD40 on the belt and the noise stopped for good. The alternator still turns but if it's inertia causes it to spin on after I decelerate or lag behind when I accelerate then it can skid just as before, but with less wear and NO NOISE. I carry a couple of spare fanbelts and an adjustable socket spanner anyway.

One of these days I'll get around to fitting a light in the engine bay.

Tom.

Reply to
Tom

You bone idle git, change the pulley as the same time because that will be knackered too

Reply to
Centurion

Interesting idea. The belt on my Fiat Seicento seems to like squealing, but maybe this would help?

It seems to squeal if it's too tight and squeal if it's too loose. It squeal quite a bit last time I replaced it, and it took a few weeks to run in. The thing was replaced only a couple of months ago and in this damp weather it seems to be squealing slightly again.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

The message from petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

I've found a dusting a talc helps.

Reply to
Guy King

er - wouldn't chalk dust - or a new belt- be much better than WD40??

Reply to
R. Murphy