Cabrio dies...then smells like pickles

My 97 Cabrio started and the ABS and parking warning light was on, the AC switch was on but the blower wasnt running, Then the radio went off and 30 seconds later the car died and I had to pull it off the road..smells like pickles, dill I think. Won't crank completely nothing no sound no click no nothing. I had it towed to local shop, they replace the starter(ouch) runs fine for a week then....it happened again. I can do a starter so I had it towed to the house. Anyone experience this? What would cause this to happen? BTW the pickle smell comes out of the starter. Thanks Tom

Reply to
Tom442

I was going to say ign. switch since some electrical components were not function, but then you said the radio went out and the car died and then......no nothing. That usually means, at least to me, no lights on the dash or anything like the battery went dead. I am also thinking maybe the alternator is not charging, but it ran for a week and I will ASSuME that the shop that changed the starter checked everything out before giving you an estimate or letting you go on your merry way.

Pickle smell confuses me unless your connections to the battery or starter are loose.

I will still vote ign switch though if all of the wiring at the battery is good! :-) JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
Jim Behning