1989 VW Cabriolet

I have an 89 Cabriolet. When I try to start it, it spits and sputters like it is starving for fuel. When I push on the pedal, it stalls. When I pull on the throttle under the engine, it is almost like it is backfiring in the manifold or something. It won't stay running. It stalls time after time. Not really sure where to start. Need help bad. Thanks,

Reply to
jdk

Look for serious vacuum leaks like the intake manifold boot is cracked or loose.

The 1989 should have CIS-E which has the electronic fuel pressure regulator on it. They do go bad and also the ground wire can go break too. So you have to check to see if it is getting power and ground.

Test the Fuel Injection system. Got a good book?

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1