CD Changer wire harness colours/what they do?

Hello Everyone.

Is there anyone here that knows what the different wires do for the VW 6-CD changer? Car is a 1999.5 with the stock wiring harness... I'm trying to make an adaptor so I can use my VW changer in my parents 1993 Volvo 960 - I have to drive it almost 1000kms this weekend, and the car only has a tape deck, but it's pre-wired for a CD changer in the trunk... I'm hoping I can jerry-rig some sort of adaptor into place so I can use the unit it both cars.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

You can probably find the info in the web somewhere but modern changers seem to involve digital electronic and just swapping wires around probably won't work or will fry the changer. There are a variety of adapters made for matching up head units and changers. Do a Google search or just start with Crutchfield:

or look here:

However, I suspect you will not find a solution. The adapters seem to be made for a very limited range of changers for any particular car. Your best bet for this weekend is probably a cheap cassette adapter and a Diskman.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

I have an adaptor, but I can't find it... and my other one is broken... And my brother (who I am picking up) has my diskman - so i'll have it for the return trip... Maybe i'll load up some songs onto my Mindisk player and find my tape adaptor... Someone on the Volvo group has had luck with an Alpine CD changer in a 1995 960 and a 1998 VW Cabrio, with only the adaptor for each car needed... so I'm hoping I may luck out, he's trying to help me sort it out.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

According to Bentley:

Harness connector T20 (blue) Harness connector T12

Radio Terminal Wire color CD terminal

13 - CD Changer DATA IN blue 1 14 - CD Changer DATA OUT green 4 15 - CD Changer CLOCK yellow 2 16 - CD Changer Positive (B+ in), terminal 30 red 6 17 - CD Changer - Control signal, turn on grey 8 18 - CD Changer - Ground (GND) and shield black 9 19 - CD Changer - Line OUT, left (CD/L) lilac 10 20 - CD Changer - Line OUT, right (CD/R) white 7 brown 3 to radio harness ground

But don't blame me if you fry the changer ....

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Damn text wrap ... let's try again

Harness connector T20 (blue) Harness connector T12

Radio Terminal Wire color CD terminal

13 - CD Changer DATA IN blue 1 14 - CD Changer DATA OUT green 4 15 - CD Changer CLOCK yellow 2 16 - CD Changer Positive (B+ in), terminal 30 red 6 17 - CD Changer - Control signal, turn on grey 8 18 - CD Changer - Ground (GND) and shield black 9 19 - CD Changer - Line OUT, left (CD/L) lilac 10 20 - CD Changer - Line OUT, right (CD/R) white 7 brown 3 to radio harness ground

brown 3 to radio harness ground

brother (who I am picking up) has my diskman - so

Mindisk player and find my tape adaptor... Someone on

1998 VW Cabrio, with only the adaptor for each car

industrial controls electrician, so electronics is a

if I can do it - seems possible.

Reply to
Erik Dillenkofer

Reply to