Do A/C systems slowly lose effectiveness?

One quick question about A/C systems. Do they slowly lose cooling power, and gradually lose the ability to put out as cold air as they used to, or do they pretty much just spring a leak one day and pretty much end up doing nothing at all?

I feel that the A/C in my car (1999.5 Golf TDI) was very cold when I bought it, and I never had to use the "recirc" button... Now I seem to have to use it a lot, especially to initially cool the car - Air is still cold, and I can barely feel the compressor dragging the engine down at all when it's on (barely any negative impact on fuel economy... same as 2 years ago).

Is getting an A/C system "tuned up" a good idea, or will they just tell me I need new parts - We can get our Volvo's A/C system filled up for around $120, is a VW's system pretty much the same cost to fill back up, or would they only have to top it off (for cheaper... since most of the cost is the R-134 and 1/2 hour labour, labour is only $4/hr less at VW - so pretty much the same)... I am going to assume some coolant must be leaking out, probably during the winter, and only a small amount?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Depends on if they have a slow leak or a sudden burst (like a hose going bad). Either cna happen.

take in in for a recharge and leak test.

Reply to
Matt B.

Yes. The compressor in a car has seals that must pass a rotating shaft. They will always leak some amount IMHO. It may be a tiny amount, but there is some leak.

An electrically powered compressor does not have to pass a shaft. They can use hermetically sealed units, and should not leak. They work for many many years without having to be have freon added.

That can happen too.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Yes, they can get dirty coils or lots of other issues.

, or do they pretty much just spring a leak one day and pretty

They can do that or they can get a slow leak.

The compressor will not drag the engine down any more if it is less efficient, it might even have a little less drag.

I suggest you find a good local Independent A/C shop and have them take a look at it. Dealers are almost always more expensive. What they will do will depend on two things. What is needed and are they honest. Try asking around friends and neighbors for a recommendation of an honest shop.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Start with the easy thing first. If you never had any freon added since new then it may be a little low. All AC systems loose freon over time. That system only holds 1.65lbs of R134a. Have you changed the pollen filter lately? First sign of it being plugged up is whn you hit the re-circ button and more air comes out the vents.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks everyone.

Don't have a good indy shop for A/C, only mechanical stuff... I might call the Volvo dealership to see if they'd work on my VW's A/C system, they are really good and honest about A/C work (and work in general)... I think all it needs is a top-up.

Reply to
Rob Guenther