Error P1582 in 2000 Golf 2.0 L

I read in past threads about the P1582 error code referring to "Idle out of range".

The car has been running fine. No noticeable changes. No stalling in idle with or without the AC on. The dealer of course wants a lot of money to investigate and likely fix the error source. Not being "car saavy" (*i.e. not able to disassemble things myself) is there a short list of possible "fixes" that I could bring to a mechanic for an estimate... beginning with the least expensive options. (*i.e. clean air filters? check for vacuum leaks? repair leaks if there are any? clean throttle housing? ....the latter seems to be the most expensive...)

The car has no history of trouble passing our biannual emissions testing.

Also... could the computer be on the blink vs. the AC module? I mean the electrical system on this car seems to have a mind of it's own sometimes.. with driver's side lights optional at times and the lights on the stereo coming on with only about 90% of start ups.

Any sage advice or words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated! :)

Cheers, GG

Reply to
Golf Girl

check for vacuum leaks? repair leaks if there are any? clean throttle housing. That's the cheap stuff to do, and if you still have the same fault code then it looks like the throttle housing needs to be replaced.

Reply to
Woodchuck

MAF sensor. I had it replaced few months ago under warranty. VW extended warranty on these, up to 7 years.

L.

Reply to
Largo

Reply to