key fob not working 2001 Jetta GLS

Hi, Our 2001 Jetta GLS has two key fobs. One works properly, the other only works if you stand in front of the drivers door and hold it in front of the window. The red transmitter light on the fob comes on anywhere you are, you don't have to be near the car.

Batteries are new.

This just started happening, any ideas?

Thanks, Dermott

Reply to
Diarmud387

I just had a simular issue with my 2005 Passat TDI. What the dealer ended up doing (as it was under warranty) was to check the battery, replace the battery. When the battery was deemed not the problem, they replaced the fob. Then they had to have both remotes so the devices could be reprogrammed. It doesn't take long. If your car is out of warranty, it will probably run you over a hundred for the part alone. If you have a vag-com or know someone who does, you could get the fob from an internet parts house, then use the vag-com to re program the devices. Look at tdiclub.com as they have a list of folks who have vag-com as you could obtain help there.

gck

Reply to
Leicaman

Reply to