Filter or reservoir

First thing first so not to disturb others that follow this newsgroup religiously or not. Question is about 1988 VW Fox wagon GL 1.8L SOHC CIS-E.

Item: reservoir/filter runs between fuel tank enclosed transfer pump and primary fuel pump. The line from the engine compartment and a line to the fuel tank also have lines attached to this item. Bentley manual calls the item a fuel reservoir. VW calls the item a fuel filter. Bentley manual says the item is for purpose of storing fuel for surges as the primary fuel pump may overcome the transfer pump's capacity. As I'm sure you've ascertained, there's 4 (four) lines on this item. I purchased a replacement, as the currently installed item is leaking very slowly. The currently installed item is painted red. I cannot observe its, if any, contents. The new one (no paint) has an obvious filter within it observing from one line input. Also observable is a cap of sorts with some kind of glue/adhesive where two (2) lines are on the new item. The other two (2) lines are on the remainder of the new unit/item.

So, I'm a bit confused here regarding the Bentley manual, and the obvious naming of the item by VW as a filter. If its a filter, maybe, just maybe, the item should be replaced a bit more often as its not listed in the maintenance section of the Bentley manual. I've also noticed in all the questions I've asked here indicating all relevant information that no one indicated this as a filter. In the past, I've had a problem with a rusted out internally gas tank as another example. No mention regarding this as a potential problem. All this I found on my own, without many frequent repliers help or responses.

My question is: why does the Bentley manual refer to this item as a reservoir, no mention of internal filtering? Case in point is the fuel distributor. The hollow bolt on a new model has a filter screen, and recommends replacement with a bolt without such a screen. Yet, says nothing about the filter in the item?

Reply to
Dioclese

thanks! ;-)

I believe that the part you are referring to serves more than one function, both as a reservoir and as some sort of filter/strainer. I would also think that BOTH fuel filters probably serve the function of reservoir. Just take one off and dump that gas out! 8^) Not sure how it strains, nor how well it filters since I have not taken one apart, nor needed to change one. I think under "normal" conditions it probably does not need to be changed every X miles, only when needed. I have never changed the one on my '83 Audi 4000 with 240K on it. I have changed the fuel hose going to it though.

Other strainers/filters can be on the Control Pressure Regulator (not with your CIS-E), also on the 85-92 Jetta Main Fuel Pump Casing/Box/Housing/Reservoir, on the Transfer Pump, on your Oil Pump and probably elsewhere. I have seen a few strainers/filters clogged with debris! No mention of time/mileage change intervals though AFAIK, so change or clean when needed.

That Fuel Distributor Fuel Inlet Bolt came with a strainer/filter from the manufacturer but I seem to recall if you have fuel delivery problems it might be good to remove it in case it is clogged or replace that bolt with one without the strainer.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Reply to
Jim Behning

Its the next to the last item noted in the link. Clicking the item itself popups a larger picture. Found one for 17.50 locally. Bentley manual has no reference to this as a replaceable item regarding fuel filtering. Frustrating.

Reply to
Dioclese

So it does a little filtering in addition to pressure accumulating. On the Rabbits it was just a pressure accumulator. So what is the big deal? It appears to be a leaky part that needs to be replaced.

My Bentley manuals covers noth>Its the next to the last item noted in the link. Clicking the item itself

Reply to
Jim Behning

Well, like I said previously. I had a rusty internal fuel tank in the past. If I had known the item has a filter element in it, I would have replaced it. That was a secret to me until now many years later.

Reply to
Dioclese

Local garage, where a person I know works, replaced the "fuel filter"/fuel reservoir in 20 minutes. Cost me 15 bucks. The fuel pump isn't screaming anymore. Can bearly hear it. That tell you anything about the condition of the replaced "fuel filter"/fuel reservoir? I rest my case.

Reply to
Dioclese