heart/lung transplant

long time on and off lurker here. i drive a rusty old 85 Golf diesel. rattles creaks leaks wind blah blah blah. on the way home from work today ( i turn wrenches for a living) i happened upon a nice looking black jetta and on the windshield it says "needs engine $500." well i was thinking about it and i went back to take a peak. all i can see for sure is 10th digit N (1992 right) 4 lug wheels (not a vr6?) the tach says "unleaded fuel only" and it's an automatic. aside from the electronics (i can handle that i believe) are there bolt holes where i need them to put in my 1.6 NA diesel and five speed? i have the Golf as a donor car so i think i mainly need to be relatively sure that there will be bolt holes. i'd buy it and put a 1.8 gas in it but i really like a diesel. worst comes to worst i'll buy it for the doors, front fenders, hood, wheels and tires, seats, etc etc. Please give me opinions asap so it doesn't get away while i research this.

TIA doug

Reply to
doug

for that price it sounds like it's probably not an A3 Jetta and is an A2 or A1. No A2s were VR6s except for the Corrado.

electronics (i can handle that i believe) are there bolt holes where i need them to put in my 1.6 NA diesel and five speed?

Should be OK. VW engines are generally very transferable and the engine mounts, at least within the same platform, are in the same places. If this is an A2 Jetta it should be especially easy to swap in terms of mounting things.

to worst i'll buy it for the doors, front fenders, hood, wheels and tires, seats, etc etc. Please give me opinions asap so it doesn't get away while i research this.

A gas to diesel conversion usually I think requires switching out the fuel system too.

Reply to
Matt B.

Reply to
doug

Here is PA you would still have to get your vehicle emissioned due to having a GAS VIN number. I don't know how that would work in your neck of the woods. Some people take diesel chassis and put in gas motors to bypass emissions. That's what I have heard but don't know if that would work either.

Reply to
Peter Parker

btw, my golf is a 5 speed and the jetta is an automatic. i'd like to stick with the 5 speed so my wife won't want to drive it but if the diesel will work with the automatic i might go that route for ease of installation. another question, will the pedals from my golf hang in the jetta so i can use the 5 speed if i go that way. i'm starting to drool sitting here thinking about it...it's black, a couple dings, no dents, no rust, excellent interior, and a trunk. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reply to
doug

Sounds like a plan! Since you have the donor, things should work out 'cheaply' for you. :-) But it could be considered a lot of work. lol

Fuel system, wiring issues (glow plug system, and fuel system), no more tach for the Jetta, transmission linkages, pedal assembly (should interchange), etc. I think I have named a few things off the top of my head.

I guess if I was installing the diesel engine, I would install it's manual transmission also.

I would imagine that you could keep the Jetta's fuel tank. You could even have the transfer pump working too! Or what are the differences in the tanks or sending units besides that water drain on the tank?

have fun! ;-) later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

If you have an emissions inspection your idea will make your life miserable, as it won't pass smog with the oil burner under the hood. But if you don't have to worry about it...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

yes it should all work AFAIK. You're in an ideal situation to do the swap as you will have a parts car to transfer over all the little greeblies you'll need that none of us are thinking of right now. AFAIK everything pretty much bolts up although the fuel system will be interesting. Might need a filler neck from a Diesel Jetta though.

see my previous post re: emissions...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

i've been thinking about it more and maybe i might like to try the automatic. any ideas about flywheel differences or what or where to try to find one. could i be lucky enough for the gas one to bolt to the diesel. stopped back by it today, sunroof too. it's a darn good lookin' car. noone was around so i'll try to make a deal with them on my way to work in the morning. thanks for the thoughts. doug

ps i was thinking about an optical pickup off the cam gear for the tach. shouldn't be to much trouble.

Reply to
doug

IIRC, VW built Jetta Diesel models with automatic transmissions in the

80s....I had an '88 Jetta and the owner's manual listed it as an option for that year, so I would assume that 85-88 would have had it as an option...but be warned...it's gonna be a slow ride...

interchange),

Reply to
Pete Cressman

the golf is allready a SLOW ride. i don't mind too much. i was just thinking that an engine swap would get me going a little quicker than engine, transaxle, and associated clutch pedals, linkages and shifter. doug

Reply to
doug

I said it first! :)

Reply to
Peter Parker

i live in florida, no vehicle or emissions testing here. and i'm a wrench by day so i could probably sneak it through anyway. ;)

Reply to
doug

Ah, no wonder you don't care about getting out of your own way. All of Florida basically crawls due to so much traffic and population.

putt, putt, putt...

:)

Reply to
Peter Parker

just drove my new '92 jetta diesel 5 speed home today. when i got the time to do it all, it took about 3 good days and i've got several more hours tieing up loose ends. but it driveable in the meantime. i'm smiling. thanks for all the help all

Reply to
doug